Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Books about Natural Disasters

First of all, I want to express my concern and sympathy for anyone affected by Hurricane Sandy. Out here in San Diego we're having our typical sunny and warm weather, so it's easy for us to gloss over what's happening on the Atlantic Seaboard. But being a major university, SDSU also employs and educates hundreds if not thousands of people who have connections to the East Coast. My family lives in Pennsylvania and my brother-in-law lives in Queens, so I've been anxious about their safety (because I'm really good at worrying). Even if I live in a location where an umbrella is seldom warranted, I'm still thinking a lot about all my waterlogged friends back east.

Along those lines, I would like to share a link of children's books that deal with natural disasters and flooding. Compiled by a University of Missouri librarian, this list of books might be helpful to any children (or adults) wishing to read about natural disasters and how, devastating as they are, they can also really highlight the resilience of the human spirit.

A similar book list is also available in PDF form here.

No comments:

Post a Comment