Monday, September 12, 2011

Michael Chabon on "The Phantom Tollbooth"


When I was a boy I read, in a biography of Daniel Boone, or of Daniel Beard, that young Dan (whichever of the two it may have been—or maybe it was young George Washington) had so loved some book, had felt his heart and mind inscribed so deeply in its every line, that he had pricked his fingertip with a knife and, using a pen nib and his blood for ink, penned his name on the flyleaf. At once, reading that, I knew two things: 1) I must at once undertake the same procedure and 2) only one, among all the books I adored and treasured, was worthy of such tribute: The Phantom Tollbooth. At that point I had read it at least five or six times...

in The New York Review of Books:
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/apr/21/michael-chabon-phantom-tollbooth-wonder-words/

1 comment:

  1. I read this book on a UK list of best books for kids, and gave copies to my list, - they love it! I was SO THRILLED to read Chabon's piece in NY Review of Books, thank you.

    ReplyDelete