Thursday, June 23, 2011

SDSU at the ChLA Convention (Virginia, June 2011)

The 2011 Children's Literature Association convention will take place at Hollins University (Roanoke, Virginia) June 23-25: http://www.hollins.edu/grad/childlit/chla2011/index.htm

A number of SDSU faculty, alums, and friends will be there. Please see the list below. And if there are others, please let us know: childlit@mail.sdsu.edu
  • I'll be at the conference, tuckered into Chandra's panel on Octavian Nothing. The official title of the paper is "Writing the Child: Composition and Consciousness in Octavian Nothing ” --Martin Woodside
  • I'm going to ChLA, presenting a paper on the show "Glee." --Naomi Lesley
  • I'll be presenting a paper at ChLA titled "Redress, Rupture and Rememory in Laurie Halse Anderson's Chains."--Kate Slater
  • I will be presenting a piece of his in-progress book on "Shel Silverstein, 'The Devil's Favorite Pet': Shel Silverstein, an American Iconoclast" as a part of a panel on Silverstein featuring Michael Heyman and Kevin Shortsleeve, co-editors of the forthcoming Anthology of World Nonsense. My paper is titled, “About Nineteen or so Minutes on the Subjects of Shel Silverstein, 'The Freak', & Freaking Out.” --Joseph Thomas.
  • My paper is: “Keeping the Faith: Religious and Ethnic Affiliation as Resistance in Jewish Children’s and YA Literature.” It's on a special Diversity Panel with special topic of “Resisting Americanization.” --June Cummins
  • Mary Auxier and I put together an Octavian Nothing Panel and my paper is called "The Rhetoric of Resistance in The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing. --Chandra Howard
  • My presentation will be on reflections of the communist movement in Engelbert Humperdinck's German opera, Hansel und Gretel. I know the Roanoke area reasonably well, since I went to school there for several summers, and I may be able to recommend some good eats out there if we decide to have some kind of rendezvous. The Hollins crowd seemed to prefer dive bars and karaoke joints for drinking, so I can only recommend those establishments for drinks! --Ellen Malven
  • Sean Printz is presenting a paper on how procedural rhetoric in video games generate mythic strictures and narratives.
  • NaToya Faughnder is presenting a paper on the bias of modernity in the theory of and history of the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment