Thursday, May 13, 2010

2010: The Summer of Mary Galbraith


Well, first, see (below) the recommended future reading list for adolescence in literature put together by my Engl. 502 class. I'm planning to read several of these that are new to me.

My summer to do list: swim in the ocean, putter in the back yard, and create a website devoted to picture book auteurs. I hope I'll get a chance to visit my childhood best friend, who lives on a ranch up in Watsonville, and her 96 year old mom, who lives in West LA near Century City. And of course I'll be spending time with my two 18 year olds and my mom, who is 93.

Health practices for the summer: Try once a day to do a real pull-up on the chin bar. Walk 12,000 steps a day. Sleep eight hours a night. Dance and sing daily--mostly dance.

Oh, yes--I'll be glued to my television for 30 days starting on June 11 watching the World Cup in South Africa. Go USA!
* * * *

English 502, Spring 2010, "Adolescence in Literature." Each person in our class recommended a book about adolescence. Our list includes novels, graphic novels, memoirs, and a CD:

Jimmy Santiago Baca, A Place to Stand (recommender: Tracy Gwin)
Leslie Feinberg, Stone Butch Blues (Emilia Sitton)
Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief and other books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (Chelsea Campbell)
Thomas Hardy, Jude the Obscure (Michelle Hammer)
Ned Vizzini, Be More Chill (Joseph Ramos)
Jane Yolen, The Devil’s Arithmetic (Norma Delgado)
Sue Monk Kidd The Secret Life of Bees (Whitney Stangel)
Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar (Sally Costello)
Orson Scott Card, Ender’s Game (Anne Loupy)
Joe Kelly (text) and Ken Niimura (graphics), I Kill Giants (Mariam Kushkaki)
Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Amanda Gallina)
William Golding, The Lord of the Flies (Kimberly Morrow)
Hanif Kureishi, The Buddha of Suburbia (Alison Leon)
Marilynne Robinson, Housekeeping (Sara Lunny)
Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian (Shawna Toledo)
Janet Fitch, White Oleander (Liberty Mcbride)
Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street (Alexandra Strangarity)
Conor Oberst, Lifted: or The Story in the Soil (Enrico Caruso)
Jack London, The Call of the Wild (Mary Galbraith)

No comments:

Post a Comment